Wishing all dear Foodies and Cookies of this space a very prosperous and a joyful new year 🙂 Excited to bring to you this new recipe in this new year. I am sorry, I did not tell you guys that I made my first TV appearance recently. I was looking forward to make a post on the same, however Christmas and new year vacation kept me busy with so much joyous moments. And yeah, I did not want to disturb the busy, happy schedule because I was saving so much energy for my blogging season. So, today I start blogging of this year with “Doughnut” recipe.
When Priya of Priya’s kitchenette asked if I can make doughnuts for a new year special program in Tamil Channel- Puthuyugam TV, I happily said ‘yes’. The 100s of doughnuts that I made for the harvest sale in church, just a couple of months back gave me all the confidence to say an immediate ‘yes’ 🙂 God is awesome,. He plans everything so intricate. Doesn’t He?
So, the day and time of shoot came. Lights on, camera on. All nerves on, hairs spiked up- Goosebumps.. The shoot started and a whisper from far – ‘tuck in your tummy’. ‘Oh! why did I ask him to take a vacation and stay with me, he is making me more nervous’ whined my fast beating heart. And just when I completed the shoot, the sun had set. I sat on a couch in the balcony sipping my tea after packing all the doughnuts to the camera crew. That was such a phew moment 🙂 So watch me from 6:53 minute here.. Following the below step by step instructions to the T will give you fluffy tasty doughnuts 🙂 I bet 🙂
Preparation time – 15 mins
Dough proving time – 1 hour 45 minutes
Makes – 6 large doughnuts
This recipe can be scaled to any amount to increase the number of doughnuts.
Here is what you will need for the doughnuts..
150 gms All purpose flour sifted
2 tbspn sugar powdered
2 tbspn butter at room temperature
1 tspn yeast ( I used active dry yeast )
1/2 tspn salt
50 ml milk Lukewarm
Oil for frying the doughnuts
Here is what you will need for the garnishing part..
Dark chocolate bar
white chocolate bar ( I used Morde brand in both )
a pinch of cinnamon powdered
1. Add yeast and sugar to lukewarm milk. Stir well until the yeast dissolves. keep it in a warm place for 15 minutes. This will help the activation or blooming of yeast.
2. Take a clean dry and wide mixing bowl. Add yeast mix, butter, egg and salt. Beat for another 2 minutes with the whisk.
3. Add flour to the above mixture little by little. Keep mixing as you add flour and keep adding flour until all the moisture in the mixture is gone. There will be some flour left out. Store it for dusting the counter.
4. Dust the kitchen counter with the remaining flour. Transfer the content from mixing bowl to the counter.
5. Knead the dough by pressing & pulling with your wrist for the next five minutes. The dough gets smooth.
Stretch the dough as much as possible. It is okay if the dough is sticky. A sticky dough gives soft doughnuts.
6. Using a bench scrapper or a knife, gather all the dough.
7. Transfer the dough to a wide bowl which is greased with a drop of oil. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and allow the dough to prove for the next one hour.
8. After an hour, the dough doubles in size.
9. Now punch the dough to release all the air.
10. Again dust the counter, transfer the dough to the counter. Roll the dough to 1/2 cm thickness. Using a cutter or a round tumbler and a piping bag tip, make dough nut shapes.
11. Cover the dough nuts with a damp cloth and allow it to prove for the next 45 minutes again.
12. After 45 mins, you can see that the dough nuts have raised double in size again.
13. Heat a wide pan with oil. Once oil is heated well, gently drop the proven dough nuts. Please take care not to press the dough nuts while dropping them. Flip and fry them till both sides are golden brown. They get fried in less than a minute.
14. Remove them and place them on a tissue spread plate. Let them cool.
15. Melt chocolate, a tbspn of fresh cream and a dollop of butter in a double boiler to make the chocolate ganache. Refer video for more detailed steps.
16. When the donuts are not very hot, dip them in the chocolate ganache and garnish with colourful sprinklers.
1. Topping variants :
Donuts rolled in powdered sugar mixed with a pinch of cinnamon powder,
Donuts dipped in honey,
Donuts topped with jam and garnished with desiccated coconut. You can roll your imagination however you want 🙂
2. In case the yeast mixture does not bloom, please discard and try a new batch of yeast. Yeast activation is very important.
3. More than one donut can be fried at the same time based on the size of the frying pan.
4. Donuts stay fresh for a day. Refrigerate them and microwave for few seconds before serving. Tastes fresh & good.
5. For eggless version, please omit the egg 🙂
Once you make them, you will never want to buy donuts in a store. Please do try out and let me know your comments. Your comments help me grow. You can reach out for any doubts via mail or FB msg. Also, do not forget to send a picture when you try them, so that I can feature your creation on my FB page 🙂
Love & Shalom,